METAL HAVEN (US) Store/Mailorder Closed down! #2

Friday, June 25, 2010

 

In the mid 1990's, Chicago only had one metal record shop, it was called "Nightfall Records". As a young headbanger I would make a weekly pilgrimage from(where I lived while in school) my parents house about 40 miles outside of Chicago to spend all of my money on the music I craved. Around 1999, I learned that Nightfall would be closing it's doors.This was terrible news to me because I had learned so much about metal and found so many great bands from my years browsing the racks there. Just before they closed, I heard that a new metal shop was opening, and it was called Metal Haven.
When Nightfall closed, I begrudgingly made my way to Metal Haven, feeling like a traitor since I had spent my youth at Nightfall. My mind quickly changed as soon as I stepped foot in Metal Haven. Floor to ceiling, wall to wall, this place was BLEEDING metal.
Within a few short visits, I got on a first name basis with owner Mark Weglarz. I eagerly handed over most of my paycheck to him each week in return for massive quantities of LP's, CD's and t-shirts week after week, year after year at his location near Chicago's Lakefront and joined him while he stared at the women walking past the store in their summer attire ! In 2005, I moved into Chicago itself, and this made the trip to Metal Haven much more easy, thus saving me money on gasoline and allowing me more to spend on metal !
Around this time, due to growing inventory and a growing customer base (and all the late night parties on the weekends ), Mark decided he need to move to a larger location. His new location a few miles away was even closer to my home, so I was very happy ! The new location was bigger and better, and allowed Mark to expand his selection and accomodate his customers, many of which became personal friends with him and each other.
Metal Haven was much more that just a record shop. It was a meeting place. Common ground, where we could retreat from the hostile stares of strangers who can't understand our obsession with this powerful music. It was a hub for the organizing and promoting of Chicago metal and various concerts. If your show or band didn't have a flyer up at Metal Haven, NO ONE came to see you play.
Mark also needs to be commended for his never ending commitment to metal and his uncompromising position on what he would stock and what he would not. He REFUSED to stock 'nu-metal' and other such garbage, even though he knew that he could make a lot of money selling it to the posers that wandered into the shop asking for it every day. That takes guts, and a hell of a lot of character.
The last few months were filled with friday night parties bigger than usual, with people fighting over what to play over the stereo as we drank away our sorrows about the stores impending demise. When the final party came, it was filled without about 20 die hard Chicago metal fans/band members and supporters of the store, and some posers that wanted to be 'cool' by being at the store...but we payed them no attention and kept our horns raised high and our minds filled with the great memories we had of the store and the last 10 years.
Mark's selection was second to none in Chicago, and from what I've seen and heard, the entire United States. He would always order you anything you want, even if he knew he may not make much money on the transaction. He was also quick to understand individual customer/friends taste, and recommend stuff they would like. The Farewell Show on May 1st 2010 was packed with great bands and great friends of Mark and Metal Haven, and was truely a night to remember.
There will never be another shop quite like it. It was Chicago's own little slice of Hell !!

By the mighty Blodhemn! (Horns up for your contribution bro!/Mario C.)

0 comments: